Financial Assistance Programs


For some people, it is necessary to use continence products such as pads, pants, bedding protection products and more to manage their condition.  For some people, the continence products may be needed long term so the costs can add up. 

A continence clinic or the National Continence Helpline can provide you with information about your eligibility for funding schemes, which may assist with the ongoing costs of purchasing and replacing continence products from 

Note:  An assessment by a continence nurse advisor is recommended to ensure that you or the person you are caring for uses the most appropriate continence product, including the correct fit and application of the product.

There are various funding schemes available for continence products funded by Australian Governments.  These schemes have differing eligibility criteria and funding allocations, and it is important to note is that you may be eligible to apply for government funding through several schemes.  Australian Government funding schemes are open to all Australian citizens who meet the eligibility criteria, regardless of which state of Australia they live in.

Continence Aids Payment Scheme

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS) is an Australian Government Scheme that provides a payment to assist eligible people who have permanent and severe incontinence to meet some of the cost of their continence products.

Who can apply for the scheme?

A person is eligible for CAPS if they are five years of age or older and have one of the following:

  • -Permanent and severe loss of bladder and/or bowel function caused by an eligible neurological condition; or
  • -Permanent and severe loss of bladder and/or bowel function caused by another condition, provided the person has a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card, whether as a primary cardholder or a dependant of a cardholder; or
  • -Permanent and severe loss of bladder and/or bowel function caused by another condition, provided the person has a Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Pensioner Concession Card, whether as a primary cardholder or a dependant of a cardholder.


A person is not eligible for CAPS if:

  • -They are not an Australian citizen or a permanent Australian resident.
  • -They are a high care resident in an Australian Government funded aged care home.
  • -The person receives an Extended Aged Care at Home (EACH) or an EACH Dementia (EACHD) package and continence products are negotiated as part of the applicant's care plan.
  • -The person is eligible for assistance with continence products under the Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP).
  • -The person's incontinence is transient (non permanent); can be treated conservatively (eg. through pelvic floor muscle exercises) with medication or with surgery; or is confined to night time bed wetting (enuresis).
  • -The person's incontinence results from a condition other than an eligible neurological condition AND they do not have Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card entitlement.


What about State / Territory schemes?

If a person is eligible for the CAPS, and is currently receiving assistance with continence (or continence related) products through a State or Territory government funded scheme, they should contact their scheme manager to find out if the assistance will be affected by their eligibility for the CAPS.

How do I apply?

Applicants need to complete a CAPS application form, which includes a Health Report. A health professional must complete the Health Report component and the completed application must be returned to Medicare Australia.

Medicare Australia will process the application, and if the applicant is determined eligible, make the payment to their nominated bank account.If the application is incomplete or information is not valid, Medicare Australia will contact the applicant for further information.

If clients are unable to complete an application form in certain circumstances, a representative may complete it on their behalf (see the CAPS application form and guidelines for required criteria).

If you would like a CAPS application form contact:

  • Medicare Australia on 13 20 11 Select Option 2
  • National Continence Helpline on 1800 33 00 66


CAPS Application Form and Guidelines

Important: You must read this information before submitting the CAPS application form.

Application forms MUST be sent to Medicare by:

Fax:     02 9895 3525
Post:    Continence Aids Payment Scheme
             Department of Human Services
             GPO Box 9822
             Sydney NSW 2001

To obtain a hard copy of the CAPS Application Form and Guidelines, please contact National Mailing and Marketing via email to or via telephone to 02 6269 1000.

Electronic copies can be requested by emailing

How much is the payment and how often will it be made?

CAPS clients will receive up to $533.50 which will be indexed annually. Applicants can choose one full payment in July, or two half payments in July and January each year.

Can I authorise my payment to a representative or organisation?

Yes, a payment can be made directly into a representative's bank account (details of the relationship are required) or to a nominated organisation (which will assist the person to purchase their products). For more information on who can receive the payment see the CAPS application form and guidelines at 

Will the CAPS payment affect my income?

No. The CAPS payment is income tax exempt and will not be included in any Centerlink assessment as income.

For further information 

For CAPS application and payment inquiries contact:
Medicare Australia
13 20 11 and Select option 2 
Call Medicare Australia for assistance with completing the CAPS application form or enquiries regarding the CAPS payment.

For further information about the CAPS schemes visit:
Bladder Bowel website

For information about bladder and bowel control problems, continence product advice, referrals to continence services and information about your eligibility for funding schemes call the National Continence Helpline  1800 33 00 66.

DVA Rehabilitation Appliances Program

The Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) provides a range of continence products to eligible members of the veteran community through the Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP). If the applicant is an entitled veteran or war widow(er), support can be accessed if they:

  • hold a Gold Card (eligible for treatment of all conditions whether or not they are related to war services)
  • hold a White Card and the incontinence is a result of a specific accepted disability (to determine eligibility contact the Rehabilitation Appliances Program at DVA)
  • have been assessed by a health professional as requiring products for incontinence, or
  • products are provided as part of the overall health care management.

Gold and White Card holders are not eligible if they are residents receiving high level aged care. A form requesting the continence products needs to be filled out by the assessing doctor or health professional. It is then sent to an authorised product supplier on behalf of the client.

For all enquires in regards to continence products and supply arrangements please contact the South Australian State Office: National Continence Contract Team
Department of Veterans' Affairs
GPO Box 1652
(199 Grenfell St)
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: 1300 131 945

More information is available on the Department of Veterans' Affairs website.

State and Territory schemes

Australian States and Territories operate a range of continence aids funding schemes. The type of product and the amount available may differ depending on which state you live in.

State and Territory schemes provide a range of equipment to people living in the community who have a permanent or long-term disability. The actual name of the scheme may differ between States, and some State-based schemes may provide disposable products such as pads, while others may not. There may also be a waiting list to access a scheme. However, all clients require clinical assessment by a health professional.

To find out what financial assistance may be available, contact the National Continence Helpline freecall 1800 33 00 66 or the agency administering the scheme in your State or Territory (see table below). 



Contact details 

Australian Capital Territory


ACT Equipment Scheme (ACTES) 

(02) 6207 0658

New South Wales

ENABLE NSW - Program of Appliances for Disabled People (PADP)

1800 362 253

Northern Territory

Disability Equipment Program (DEP) Scheme

Darwin (08) 8922 7244

Darwin remote (08) 8922 8317

Katherine (08) 8973 8778

Alice Springs (08) 8951 6744

Nhulunbuy (08) 8987 0400


Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS)

(07) 3136 3665

South Australia

Department for Families & Communities Equipment Program

(formerly known as Independent Living Equipment Program)

Administered by the Independent Living Centre of SA

Novita Childrens Services Continence Assistance Program 

(08) 8266 5260

1300 885 886 (SA/NT callers only)



1800 337 443 



Community Equipment Scheme

Operated by the Department of Health and Human Services

North West -   Devonport  

(03) 6421 7833

North - Launceston

(03) 6336 5102

South - Hobart

(03) 6282 0760


Aids and Equipment Program (A&EP)

Continence Support Service (CSS)

Early Choices Program for children 0 - 5 years 

All programs administered by Department of Human Services - Disability Services

1300 650 172

Western Australia

Continence Management and Advice Service

Administered by Silver Chain

1300 787 055